UK Broadband

Broadband providers forum

sky speed test

This is a discussion on sky speed test within the Sky Broadband forums, part of the Broadband providers category; Hi have been with sky for a number of years now and always had the top package 20mb unlimited, well ...

Go Back   UK Broadband Forum > UK Broadband Forum > Broadband providers > Sky Broadband

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-10, 11:56 PM

Default sky speed test

Hi have been with sky for a number of years now and always had the top package 20mb unlimited, well tonight I done a bit of searching for ppl with sky in areas near me they were downloading like 10-18mbps.

Now I have done a number of speed tests on the most popular sites and I should be getting at least 10mbps but have never gone over 1.7mbps and Ideas why?
Old 11-24-10, 12:08 PM

Your connection is through a cable... Sky are legally allowed to advertise up to 20Mb because that actually can offer that (through BT lines) but the speed in which you consume is subject to the distance you are from the nearest exchange.

3G is a con at the moment unless you use hotspots in the City of Lonbon via HSDPA (3.5G)...

Satellite Broadband is more expensive but more reliable than most other providers...
Old 11-24-10, 02:36 PM

Ok so if I went with another provider would I still get the same speed as I am now?
Old 11-24-10, 03:49 PM

The most accurate broadband test site we use in the industry is bbmax. If you google it, it'll be in the top 3 or 4 links.

It is very likely you will not receive a better connection even if you were to move cable provider. If you pay for a service & you receive 2Mb or 3Mb when you pay for up to 8Mb, that is very common! Don't waste time & change provider because the likely hood is you'll pay more just for the phone line and still have same downlink speeds.

The distance you are from the local telephone exchange literally controls the service you have even if you pay for a greater one! 90% of the Uk is in the same boat, especially if you live in rural Wales or Scotland!

There are broadband schemes around at the moment that could help... but you need to live in certain areas to be eligibale.
Old 11-24-10, 03:53 PM

Ok fair enough, but what about this fibre optic is it any better will I get better speeds then an adsl line?
Old 11-24-10, 04:01 PM

definately. If you go on to www.racetoinfinity.co.uk (the BT Infinity website) you can enter your home phone number and it'll tell you if your local exchange has been upgraded to suit up to 40Mb or not... If it has, it'll tell you what speed you'll get if you signed up to it, and all the prices are on the website for you to look at.
Old 08-14-11, 09:12 PM

Default Low throughput

Hello,

If you check http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and check your postcode you will find what your expeced speed is. You can compare this to what you're actually getting, which you can test here www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk. These are reliable sites that we use to diagnose our customers problems. This speed, you may realise, will also be impacted by many things. If you have external wiring that interferes with the line it will reduce speed. Also, fax machines, alarm systems, lots of PCs.. all these things will affect your speed.

Try this. Go to www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and test the speed with your current physical setup. Make a note of that speed. Then, disconnect everything from your master socket and extention sockets throughout the house. Unscrew the faceplate (If you have one)from your BT Master Socket and reveal the test socket, which will be recessed and slightly to the right of center. This socket connects directly to your dropdown wire or underground cabling, bypassing all extention wiring. To this socket connect JUST your microfilter, adsl cable, and router. Run the test again and compare speeds. With this basic setup to the test socket you should be receiving the speed kitz.co.uk gave.

If your speed is marginally slower that your E.A.L.S. it is still slower and you can call us up to possibly raise an engineer, or worst case scenario- look at getting out of contract. To be fair though, you wouldn't get a faster adsl line speed elsewhere.

Good luck, happy testing

Dave

Sky CST department
Old 08-14-11, 09:38 PM

How come when I use the Sky speed checker and use my land line number i get results of 1 - 4mbps but when I do it against my address I get results of 7 - 14mbps?
Is this down to my BT line?

When my broadband was connected I was told there was no capacity at my exchange and had to receive broadband through IP Stream. Could that effect my estimates?